Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Turkey-Veggie Meatloaf and Crock-Pot Mac and Cheese

A few days ago, I made Turkey-Veggie Meatloaf for the first time. I was craving some classic comfort food with all the gloomy weather, but I didn't want to go overboard. This version is much better for you and you don't even taste the veggies. They just make this dish so moist! It turned out so well and I think I actually prefer it to the regular ground beef version. I wanted to share the recipe with you all, but I remembered to take photos as I ate my last bite. You have to forgive me, as I am new to blogging and I sometimes forget that blog readers want lots of photos!

I used Google and found a photo that looked a lot like it. Yes, I am aware that it looks like carrot cake. My family made this observation as well.

Turkey-Veggie Meatloaf
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup each of finely chopped green onion, carrot, and zucchini
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1 large egg
1/4 tsp Italian herb seasoning
1/4 tsp dried parsley
2 tbsp ketchup
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 350* F. Heat a skillet to medium-high and add about one tbsp of olive oil. Saute the onion, carrot, and zucchini until soft. This takes about 3-4 minutes.
 
Place the turkey in a large mixing bowl and add the veggies to the turkey. Allow the veggies to cool off and add the remaining ingredients.
 
With your hands, combine all of the ingredients until well incorporated. Shape into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
 
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked all the way through (170*F).



Crock-Pot Mac and Cheese
 
I chose to make some crock pot macaroni and cheese to go with the meatloaf. It was super simple to make and soooo yummy. I dare you not to eat the whole thing! I also forgot to take a picture of it, but this one (thank you Google) looks just like it!
 
 
Ingredients:
 
1/2 lb elbow macaroni, cooked
12 oz evaporated milk (I used reduced fat)
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cups shredded cheddar (I used mild cheddar)
 
Directions:
 
Coat the crock pot in non-stick cooking spray. Add all of the ingredients, saving 1 cup of cheese. Cook on low for 4-5 hours. Sprinkle the remaining cheese in the crock pot a few minutes before serving.



What's your favorite go-to comfort food? Pizza? Fried Chicken? I want to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!