Sunday, December 16, 2012

Easy Oreo Truffles

One of my favorite things about the holiday season is getting to bake goodies (both old favorites and new recipes) and getting to share them with others. Yesterday I made one of my newer favorites, Oreo Truffles, for my boyfriend to take to work and share with his co-workers. I discovered these a-maz-ing treats last year and after looking at several variations, I chose a super easy recipe. They don't require any baking and they only involve three ingredients! Although this is a relatively new recipe to me, it is quickly becoming a Christmastime favorite.
 
Here's what you will need: one regular package of cream cheese, a package of Oreo cookies (Regular or Double Stuf), and some sort of chocolate for dipping. Any kind of dipping chocolate would be ideal (almond bark, etc.), but because I'm trapped on an island I had to improvise; the chocolate chips turned out just fine.
 

The first step is to put the Oreo cookies in a food processor and chop them finely. No food processor? No problem; just place the cookies in a freezer bag and use a rolling pin, or smash em' with your hands.

 
When they are finely crushed like in the photo below, place them in a bowl (reserve about 1/4 cup for garnish, if you wish) and add a package of softened cream cheese. Combine the mixture until well incorporated; use your clean hands if you want to, I promise I won't tell!

 
Form small balls from the mixture (think 1 inch or so) and place on a cookie sheet. Pop em' in the freezer for about 15 minutes. This makes the dipping process much easier.

 
While the truffles are in the freezer, begin to melt the chocolate according to the directions on the package. You can use a double boiler, a bowl in the microwave, or a candy melter fondue pot like I used.
 
 
When the truffles are chilled, dip them in the chocolate and resist popping them into your mouth right away. Place them on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and garnish with reserved crushed Oreo cookies, if desired. My dipping technique didn't yield the prettiest truffles, but they taste pretty awesome, or so my family says.


What are some of your favorite holiday treats? I want to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!