Saturday, February 23, 2013

Creamy Chicken Broccoli Casserole

First of all, I want to apologize to you for all the chicken recipes. It never occurred to me that normal people don't like to eat chicken almost every night of the week. Oops. I guess I'm just not much of a beef or pork eater. However, I will try to add some variety; keyword: try.

I found this recipe over at Six Sisters' Stuff and thought I'd give it a try. It reminds me of chicken Alfredo, but it's a bit thicker and a bit more rich. If you're a fan of cream cheese, you will like this!

Ingredients:
 
4-5 chicken breasts (I used boneless and skinless)
1 bag of frozen broccoli (I used the kind that steams in the microwave)
2 (8 oz.) boxes of fat-free cream cheese (My grocery store doesn't sell it; I used Neufchatel)
2 cups skim milk
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Whole Wheat Ritz cracker crumbs for topping (I used half of a sleeve of crackers)
1 box of your favorite whole wheat/whole grain pasta (I used thin spaghetti)
 
Directions:
 
Cook the chicken (I boiled mine). Once the internal temperature reaches 165*, cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces and set aside.
 
Cook the broccoli according to the directions on the package. Place the broccoli in the bottom of a 13x9 greased casserole dish.
 
In a saucepan, heat the milk, cream cheese, garlic salt, and Parmesan cheese over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Pour 1 cup of the sauce over the broccoli.
 
Add the chicken to the casserole dish and pour the remaining sauce over the chicken, spreading evenly.
 
Top with the cracker crumbs and cook for 25 minutes at 350*.
 
While the casserole is in the oven, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
 
Serve the casserole over the pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!