Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Easy Bean and Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Today I want to share with you my recipe for Easy Bean and Chicken Enchilada Casserole. It really is super simple to make and it is so good! We had this for dinner the other night and it was so tasty that I got distracted and I completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product. I would probably go eat at a Mexican restaurant every day if I could; this recipe allows me to eat the yummy Mexican food I crave, but without the extra guilt!

For all of you busy people out there, this is so easy to throw together before work and bake when you get home. However, if you choose to do so, I recommend placing your baking dish in the oven while the oven preheats. In case you didn’t already know, a cold glass or ceramic dish in a hot oven could be a recipe for disaster.

Ingredients:

Small onion, chopped and sautéed in olive oil (I used a yellow onion)
Package of whole wheat tortillas (I used 8”)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 small can of green chilies
1 can of enchilada sauce
2 cups reduced fat cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
Tomatoes, fat-free sour cream, etc. for topping

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350*.

Mix beans, chicken, chilies, ¾ of the cheese, onions, and the rice in a medium sized mixing bowl.
 
Spread about 3 tablespoons of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.

Divide the mixture among the tortillas and roll them up!

Place the tortillas in the baking dish, seam side down.

Cover the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce (about ½ a cup or so) and cheese.

Cook for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with your toppings of choice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!