Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Valentine/Birthday Breakfast!

I adore french toast and all things sweet for breakfast. The problem is that I usually can't justify eating these foods for breakfast, so I choose bran cereal, add a few raisins, and pour some skim milk over it! This morning, however, I totally justified eating whatever I want for breakfast as it is not only Valentine's Day, but also my 22nd birthday!

I wanted to make baked french toast that would be sweet enough to satisfy me, but not so sweet that I couldn't eat my birthday cake later. And so I can go get that mocha later :) I think that there's something special about having a moment to yourself on your birthday, so this is why this recipe serves just one! Feel free to double, triple, or even quadruple it.

 Ingredients:

1/4 loaf of crusty bread
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
1/16 cup granulated sugar
1/16 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350* F.
In a small baking dish, spray the bottom and edges with nonstick cooking spray.
Tear bread into small pieces and place on the bottom of the dish.
In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
Pour the mixture over the bread.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the bread is golden and the consistency is the way you like it.

Optional: Serve with fresh fruit, top with whipped cream, and/or drizzle with syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!