Saturday, February 9, 2013

Super Quick and Easy Wheat Bread

I’ve been looking for the perfect Saturday morning treat that won’t undo my progress at the gym. It can be pretty frustrating to pass up ooey-gooey cinnamon buns, but I’ve been doing a great job sticking to my meal plan: when it comes to breads/grains, I choose whole wheat, whole grain, etc. whenever I can.

I was so excited when I came across this super quick and easy bread recipe, especially since this is my first time at making bread on my own. It is seriously so easy to make that a child could practically handle the whole process [minus the oven part].

Not too bad for my first solo attempt at making bread.

And look at the perfectly browned underside!
Ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white-wheat flour

2 tsp. Rapid Rise Yeast (you can find a jar of this in the baking aisle)
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water

¼ cup olive oil


Directions:
In a stand mixer*, combine half of the flour and the dry ingredients. Mix in the water and oil.
Mix in the remaining flour and knead for 10-15 minutes with the dough hook.
*No stand mixer? No problem! Just mix it by hand and knead it by hand. You will get the same results, but it will take a bit longer.
Take the dough out of the mixing bowl and plop it down on your lightly dusted with flour, kitchen counter. Use your hands to spread out the dough and form your desired shape. Is it really sticky? Wet your hands to work with the dough.
Shape the dough as desired. You can make it round or long, braid it, or just do whatever you want! Shape it into either one or two loaves. Let the dough sit and rest while the oven preheats to 425*F.
Bake for 15 minutes, then adjust the temperature to 350* F and cook for about 10 more minutes.
Fresh out of the oven homemade wheat bread with
some homemade Orange Marmalade....AMAZING!
[UPDATE 2/10] This bread was pretty great as-is and it is still great the next day. However, next time I think I might try using only wheat flour or adding some cinnamon or honey to it. The possibilities are really endless when it comes to baking bread. Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!