Friday, March 1, 2013

Homemade [Baked] Sweet Potato Fries

I love sweet potato fries and I've been buying them in the freezer section of my grocery store quite often over the past few years. It wasn't until recently that I caught a glimpse of the ingredient list under the nutritional information label. I don't know why I was under the impression that the only ingredient would be sweet potatoes, but I was so wrong!
 
Here's the ingredient list for Ore-Ida's Sweet Potato Fries:
 
SWEET POTATOES, CANOLA OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, RICE FLOUR, TAPIOCA DEXTRIN, SEA SALT, LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE), XANTHAN GUM, ANNATTO (COLOR), SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE.
 
Hmmm...... That's a lot more than just sweet potatoes!
 
Until last month, I never knew how easy it was to make your own sweet potato fries. You can cut them however you like and you can even get fancy with a crinkle cutter or a crinkle cut knife. They are so delicious and best of all, it's good for you; so many nutrients! No packaged crap here!
 
Ingredients:
 
1 large sweet potato (peeled or with skin, thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, more if desired
*Salt and pepper, if desired.
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 375*. In a small mixing bowl, toss sweet potato slices with olive oil and cinnamon, coating evenly. Place slices on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and rotate sweet potato slices. Return to the oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!