Monday, May 6, 2013

Strawberry Ideas + Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

I'm back to share some ideas for using fresh strawberries. If you didn't already know, my parents and I picked a ton of fresh strawberries a few days ago. It's a family tradition; I've been strawberry picking since I was just a few months old!

Strawberry jam is my favorite spread and I have been eating it since I was old enough for solid food. I tried store-bought jam once (when I moved away to college), but I was very disappointed... it simply wasn't Mom's Strawberry Jam!
 
I don't know why I never thought of putting strawberries on a salad until recently, but it is quite heavenly. My friend Mary Beth gave me some sliced almonds, and this made the salad even more delicious. Eat it as-is or add a vinaigrette.
 

Strawberry shortcake is always a popular strawberry treat. We made an angel food cake and topped it with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.

 
One of my newest strawberry recipe ideas is strawberry ice cream. It was so simple to make and I always love being in control of what goes into it!

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Yields 1 1/2 quarts
 
Ingredients:
 
1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar, divided
1 cup milk
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

In a small mixing bowl, combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 1/3 cup sugar. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add the liquid from the strawberry mixture.

Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturers instructions. (Mine took about 25 minutes to freeze.) Add the strawberries in the last five minutes.


Serve ice cream immediately (it will be more like soft-serve) or pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours.


Allow ice cream to sit out for about 10 minutes before serving. Seriously, wait the 10 minutes... don't be impatient like me or it will be icy!



What's your favorite thing to do with strawberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!