Sunday, July 21, 2013

Week Recap

After leaving my main job and anxiously waiting for the final "yes" to a new job opportunity, I've had much more free time than what I usually have in the summer. You would think that I'd be soaking up as much sun as I could, but I've really spent a lot of time indoors. It's been really hot and after an hour or so outside, my body starts to cry (I know, lame). Instead, I've used this week to get caught up on chores (the bathroom is sparkling and I've washed 6 loads of laundry). I've cut the grass, I got in 5 workouts, and I've had the chance to cook something for dinner most nights (which is my favorite thing about not working evenings). It's been a really low-key week, but here's a quick recap...
 
We started our weekend (Tuesday) off with a trip to our local Farmer's Market. We love all of the baked goodies from Sweater Box Confections, so this was the first table we stopped at. We shared a blueberry muffin and a chocolate chip cookie. Both were insanely delicious. It's a good thing that the Farmer's Market is only once a week.
 
 
(Photo borrowed from the Sweater Box Confections Facebook page.)
 
We drove north to the other side of the bridge and went mattress shopping. My mattress is ancient and my back was starting to hurt. It was time for an upgrade for sure! We stopped at several places and laid on every bed. Though we knew which one we liked best, we wanted to do some online research to see if we could find a better deal... nope! The next day, I called Manteo Furniture and ordered one from this line:
 

Mexican and Southwestern food is definitely my favorite and I love it when I get the chance to eat at this place. Ortega'z is one of my favorite restaurants in the area.

 
We both ordered their Mojo Pork Burrito, which is their declicous pork inside of a flour tortilla, filled with beans, cheese, onions, and a red sauce. The burrito was amazing (the rice a bit boring and plain), but I was a tad disappointed when a man at the table behind us ordered the same thing and his came out much differently. It was garnished with lettuce, sour cream, and pico de gallo. I was totally thinking that my burrito looked a little plain Jane...
 
 
My dad has been fishing again (he's a part-time commercial fisherman) and he brought us some fresh flounder. One of the best parts about living on and island means that you can have fresh, local seafood whenever you want. It's a real treat to eat flounder for dinner that was caught that very morning.

 
I grilled some of the founder for dinner - butter, lemon juice, salt/pepper, and fresh rosemary from the garden. It was delicious!
 
 
We finished the week with a drive to the sound. We planned on soaking for a while and watching the sunset, but the wind was much stronger than we thought. We decided to take a walk along the shore instead, but a windy walk isn't so much fun either. Oh well, life on an island!
 
 
What did you do last week?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!