Thursday, August 29, 2013

Freezing Cakes 101

Did you know that you can easily bake a cake, freeze it, and then defrost it right before you need it? Yes, you can! And it will taste great; no one will even be able to tell the difference.

This is life-saving knowledge that I wish I had known years ago. The weekend of my babe's birthday was a super busy one for me, so I made his cake on a Thursday and defrosted it on Sunday morning so that I could frost it that evening. It turned out so great and it was incredibly moist. We couldn't taste the difference whatsoever. You guys really need to try this trick!

In addition to cakes, you can also freeze muffins, breads, and more the very same way. Making 100 cupcakes for a school or community function will never be easier!


Here's how to do it:


The first step, obviously, is to bake the cake. Then, let it cool completely on a wire rack.

Wrap the cake completely in saran wrap (or any plastic wrap). I wrap my cakes twice, just in case.

Next, wrap the cake in foil.

 
Finally, lay the cake flat in the freezer. I lay mine on a plate for support, at least until it freezes.
 
When you need the cake, just take it out of the freezer. Leave the plastic wrap and foil on the cake and let it come to room temperature on the counter. It will be defrosted in no time at all- about an hour or so.
 
Although I have heard some people say that you can freeze cakes for up to 3 months, I wouldn't personally leave a cake in the freezer for more than a month. I also wouldn't ice it prior to freezing it. Many icings freeze just fine, but there's always a chance that it will sweat and look sloppy as it defrosts.
 
 
Happy Baking!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!