Sunday, November 3, 2013

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

The day has finally come. I had my big first blogging fail. I was finishing a post I had been working on and I hit save instead of publish. Oops. I'm blaming it on the fact that it was prior to 6:00 am. So, here's Saturday's post. Pretend it's Saturday, pretty please!
 
 
I'm so glad that Saturday is here! I've got a busy weekend ahead of me, so I'm posting a little early this morning. And I apologize in advance for the fact that this post is all over the place :)
 
First things first, Happy Birthday to by grandma. She's so precious; I've never heard her say one mean-spirited thing about anyone and she's got the best sense of humor, even with a forgetful mind.
 
 
Happy 93rd Birthday Grandma! I love you!
 
 
I'm just about to head to the IFTA Fitness event in Chesapeake, VA for fitness workshops and trainings. I'll be taking several workshops today and I'll spend tomorrow in a Kickboxing certification. I'm so excited to learn some new things and I can't wait to integrate my new skills into the fitness classes I teach at work. Teaching the same things for several months starts to get stale; it's great to add some variety!
 
 
 
I'll also be doing my next "long run" this evening wile I'm gone. This one is 5 miles; it's a distance I haven't covered in a while, so I'm sure I will sleep nice and sound tonight! Wish me luck :)
 
 
 
Now to the food...
 
Before I hit the road, I wanted to share a super easy, yet delicious and nutritious recipe with you: Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes. I know that Halloween has come and gone, but I'm still on a pumpkin kick and I hope you are too :) After all, it's still fall!
 
 
You guys, these pancakes are awesome! They kept me full and focused during a full morning of fitness classes- not too many breakfasts can do that for me! Feel free to use all-purpose flour if you're not a fan of whole wheat.
 
 
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
Makes 8-10 pancakes, serves 2-4
 
Ingredients
 
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon canola oil
 
Directions
 
Prepare your skillet, griddle, or frying pan. I preheat my Presto Griddle to 325*F and I don't need to use any nonstick spray.
 
In a small mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients with a whisk.
 
In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the egg with the whisk and add the milk, vanilla, pumpkin, and oil. Whisk until well combined.
 
Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
 
Use a small measuring cup (like 1/4 cup) and portion out the batter (batter will be thick). Cook the pancakes until the edges start to brown. Flip the pancake and cook the other side.
 
 
And a few drizzles of light syrup... pure perfection! I'm wishing I still had that Pumpkin Butter from Trader Joe's. Now that would taste amazing on top of these!

 

Any plans for this weekend?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you!